I have been keen to attend training sessions at the Independent Theatre Council since I found out about the organisation. The first session I booked once receiving funding was People Management: The Law and the Practicalities. If you have any questions about the content of the session to work out whether it is useful to attend for you and your practice or if you would like to know how the session has impacted my work feel free to reach out using my contact page.
Around the training session in people management that I attended at the Independent Theatre Council, I scheduled meetings with contacts I had made through previous work activity.
Those meetings led to being in receipt of some of the best advice I had ever been given:
- Maintain your independent practice
- Safe guard your free time
- Be led by your learning
- Set meetings > be specific about when you discuss business
- Time audits. How much time does it take to review accounts? Oversee and update strategy?
- Slicing up team.
- Avoid doing things other people can do for you. Delegate tasks kindly and earnestly.
- Remember it is natural to be a bit territorial.
- Be clear for yourself - how much will you concede and why? What are your boundaries?
- As yourself who checks you (in an appropriate way)?
- Where does your inherent behaviour?
- Do the work. Be good at it.
- Take an opportunity to communicate what you are working on.
- “That email was out of turn and can you explain what you mean…”
- If people don’t work well in groups, do one to one’s with them.